1.26.2010

On The Greatness of Being a Man



There are a lot of great things about being a man. A lot. And if I talked about all of them, this would go on for pages. So I'm just going to pick a few. But before I do, a short list of the things that didn't make the cut:

1. Being under no social obligation to shave. Why is shaving so annoying? Who knows. It just really is.

2. Being able to walk outside in the dark, by yourself. Every time a girl says something about not being out at night alone I think "gosh that's got to be terrible."

3. Having an innate working knowledge of physics. Sure, I can fix your toilet, because by looking at it I can figure out how it works.

4. Being attracted to Felicia Day. And women in general.

Before I begin though, I want to put in a little disclaimer. As Jessica pointed out, we can only write from our own perspectives. The things we share are simply things we've noticed that seem to be common experiences. But I don't think a group's experiences will ever be fully common. My experiences, thoughts, and feelings will always be my own -- having passed through the unique filter of my senses. So please keep that in mind, and when you see something different, let me know. I'm always looking for a more accurate idea of what the common experience might be. In addition, I'm going to talk about some of the better traits of men, which is not to claim them for men alone, but to show that men exemplify them. Many women also have these amazing qualities, and that's a great thing.

Here we go.

I've been reading through the book of Genesis in the last couple days. Now, whether you take this story to be literal truth, metaphorical truth, or just a story, I think it says some interesting things. For example, in the garden of Eden, God gives Adam some very clear directives. He asks him to name the animals. He asks him to cultivate the garden. He asks him to increase and multiply. As I read this, I see that a role of men is to Do Big Things. And it's not just a role, it's a gift, maybe even a privilege. There is something about us that makes us horribly unsatisfied with doing little things like the dishes or mowing the lawn. We'd much rather sail a boat to Antarctica or make a living stealing from the rich to give to the poor. This is really clear when you watch little boys play outside. If you give a little boy a big stick he's much more likely to pretend he's got a spear to fight off bad guys than he is to pretend it's a shepherd's crook for watching sheep. This stays with us as we get older too. When I worked at Costco my job consisted of stacking products on top of each other, or moving pallets of product around. While that's an easy way to get paid, it's so pointless to do day after day. You arrive the next day to see that people have bought three vacuums. So you add three more to the pile. I don't want to do little things. It makes me feel useless. I want to Do Big Things.

Shackleton decided to go to the south pole. In a wooden boat. That's a Big Thing. 
Then they all came back alive. Without their boat. That's a Bigger Thing.


Because we men like to Do Big Things, we are also very task oriented. We get things done, and most times that's really helpful. Every woman probably knows what it's like to have a man trying to fix their emotional problems. It's terrible, but I promise that urge does have a good use. If you can convince me to get behind something, I will burn through problems with hurricane force. The force of men who believe in something is not a thing you want to stand in the way of. It's men like this who win wars, eradicate diseases, and stand against oppression. I think every man has a little bit of MacGuyver in him.

I love the adventurous spirit of men. It was men who climbed aboard ships going west in hopes of getting to the East Indies. It was men who crossed the rocky mountains to explore the west. It was men who drove thousands of cattle through Colorado, living on biscuits and coffee. It was men who thought it would be a good idea to go to the moon, and did it. Deep down, we still know we'd give up comfort for the wild unknown.

I love the strength of men. We have been endowed with muscles that lift and strain and we've been given minds that tend toward conviction. We carry with us the knowledge that were disaster ever to strike, we would be on the scene tearing away the rubble, lifting beams and cutting through rebar because we have the strength for it. We know that were an injustice ever done to those we love, we would be there to stand and fight against it, and if we couldn't fight, to simply stand in the way.

I love the fierce, sacrificial love of men. What drives us to go back across no man's land to rescue a fallen comrade? Or to run into a burning building to save a stranger? What prompts Sidney Carton to take another man's place on the tumbril? Or Horatius to stand fast against an army while his countrymen destroy the bridge behind him? It's something very mysterious, and I don't think anyone really knows why we are this way, but it is very much a part of who we are.

It would be ignorant to not take a moment to look at reality, though. To be truthful, we men are pretty messed up. It is sadly uncommon to see a man who is Doing Big Things; a man who is adventurous, strong, and sacrificial. No one ever said it would be easy to be a man, but I see these qualities inside of myself and others. If the qualities are there, then the potential is there. Let's do what we can to work toward that potential.

15 comments:

  1. I love this. Maybe my comment doesn't count, but what you said about men being dissatisfied about doing the dishes made me laugh. And this whole post made me grateful for the good strong men in my life. And there are several.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was seriously enlightening to me, as someone who is very definitely not a man, but who is married to one. Especially the dishes thing, and the dissatisfaction with doing anything that's not a Big Thing.

    I also totally envy you for point #2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stopped reading when I saw you misspelled privilege. Jessica wins.

    But I'll keep reading yours now. I'm sure it's still a good post, despite the GRAVE spelling error.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew there was a reason I loved you so much. So many true words, Bryce. These strengths God gives are incredible! And I love how God even had the foresight to give women complimenting strengths. Go figure: when we're each half of His image.....

    Oh, and Being attracted to Felicia Day is only logical as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Candice - huge apologies for that. If it makes you feel any better, I knew it was wrong when I wrote it, but I was on a roll so I couldn't stop. I just missed it on the proofreading.

    Come on, you know me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This all makes me think of Bilbo, so comfortabale with drinking his tea with his feet up on the fender by the fire. Yet something about dragons, drwarven gold, adventure, etc. made him run out the door without hat, walkingstick, or handkerchief. Comforts are nice, but the call to adventure (and doing big things) wins over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A. What's your "Big Thing?" (Four comments, all by women, and not one of them asked...)
    B. I confessed I clicked on Felicia Day's link...

    Thine Uncle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uncle:
    A. At this point I'd say that teaching is my big thing - or some kind of working with kids. I'm still trying to figure it out. The interesting thing that I didn't talk about is the many things that stand between men and the Big Thing. They are many and could fill another whole blog posting...

    B. What can I say? Redheads...

    a m stewart: Tolkien knew his stuff for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Bryce,

    In the spirit of competition, I hereby challenge one of your viewpoints.

    When you speak of the "adventurous" spirit of men, you use a voyage to the East Indies as your example. Such an example makes me think of Christopher Columbus and all the diseases, elitism, and racism wrought upon the Native Americans and their culture. Yes, those men had an adventurous spirit, but it seems as if their sense of adventure outweighed their humility, and their desire for land kept them from being sensitive to the cultures of others.

    I see your point, yet I think that the urge for "big sticks" and adventure can sometimes leave others trampled under the feet of ambitious "men". This can apply to women, too, but your examples deal with men, and so shall my response.

    Ambition is a beautiful thing, but only when wielded with humility.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also, having a Big Thing is not something that solely applies to men. I want to do Big Things, and I am a woman.

    There are many women who have a deep desire for adventure, who are strong, and who would fight for those they love. Sometimes, I feel like men are told to do Big Things, and women are not. This, I feel, is a sad sad thing, when both genders are responsible to carry out God's unique calling in our lives.

    Can you address why you feel men are more called to adventure than women?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jessica - thanks for the challenge. Your first point is something that bothers me too. Unfortunately the scope of the blog doesn't include the far bigger topic of "ways men fail in using their gifts". Hopefully that can be a blog soon.

    Your second point, about women doing Big Things too, is fantastic. I hope I didn't come off sounding like these gifts are men's alone. In many ways, it seems to me today that women are the one's doing Big Things, while men don't. But again, that's another whole post.

    Sadly, my point about men being more called to adventure than women is based on the very weak proof of my own experiences. As I mentioned in the post, the actions of children seem to point to it. I also see it in the actions of men of all ages, but to be honest, it's all anecdotal at best. I'm not sure there is a way to quantify which sex may be the most adventurous. And again, I know some remarkably adventurous women too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bryce,

    I see what you mean! I think that both men and women fail to fulfill their potential daily, possibly due to what our culture dictates "real men" and "chicks" should act like.

    I think men are told to be ambitious but not sensitive, and women are told to be sensitive but not ambitious. We both could do with a large dosage of balance and integrity.

    Thanks for your post and your comments! I don't think you came across badly at all, but this is my absolute favorite topic to discuss and I can't resist a good conversation about it.

    On to post #2!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Also, I need to stop using "quotation marks" to "create irony" or "intrigue" in sentences that I "write."

    New Year's "resolution" number 6.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jessica and Bryce... here's something to "try on" and see if it fits...

    What if men are hard-wired for Big Things as part of their survival make-up? After all, killing big prey feeds a family for weeks, even months, and far better ensures survival than small prey, or berry gathering. And as a result of having this Big Thing focus, men are always conserving their energy for those Big Things. Hence, doing dishes may not feel very "worth doing" in the big picture. It seems to me that the men I know actually feel *compelled* to do Big Things. From my experience, when they do the Little Things, it's an act of human spirit in order to provide something to the people in their lives. As in... "I can see that doing the dishes would help you relax, and THAT is Big Thing worth providing."

    On the other hand, I do know many women who do Big Things, but it seems to me it comes from a different place--it's not so instinctive maybe? It seems to be sourced from human spirit. And a lot of Big Things I've seen women working on often have an "others" focus rather than a prowess focus. For that matter, I think when men are focused on a Big Thing that is *not* tied to sheer adventure, strength or protection, it too is sourced in human spirit.

    Wish I had time to make this more coherent... but let me know if this fits your experience of life :-)

    Love the topic!
    Your intrigued cousin, Kirsti

    ReplyDelete
  15. Speaking of watching children play, I have often found that while little boys play war or adventure, little girls play house. Not all little girls of course, as I certainly spent a number of my days in the dirt building a fort or being quite the fierce power ranger, but it is certainly a game that nearly all little girls played at some point in their childhood. I would hypothesis that for many a girl, bringing more little children (or eventually men doing "big things") into the world is certainly a big thing. I am not saying that women are not called to do other, more manly "big things" in the world, but we are also called to create the family units that men protect, to bring children into the world that are worth fighting and working for. To stand up for ever house-wife that ever was: doing that, and raising them in a loving and safe household, is certainly a big thing.

    ReplyDelete